Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Jar

So, as you may know, this week was not exactly my favorite week of all time. Now, I will admit I have had worse. But not much!

Many tears were shed. Many adult words were said. Many hugs were received. But, just like I always do, I put on my big girl panties and decided to get over it. Such is life, right? Oddly enough, I dont control the world (even if I think I should....) and I certainly dont control the Ethanol world!

So, the hubs and I started brainstorming.

What Christmas presents should we take back? I do tend to go overboard on presents. Its just how I roll. Typically the hubs and I dont get presents for each other, but I am suprising him this year. And its an expensive big present. Something that we "needed" but in reality could probably live without if we had to. The kiddos each got their one big thing then a few little things, some clothes, and some pjs.

What "extras" can we cut out? (FYI- we dont have many extras-I have my DVR and the hubs got to keep his gym membership. We each got to chose one "extra" two years ago.)

What can I do to help our family? Should I go back to teaching? Subbing? Daycare? etc.

Should the hubs look into out of state jobs? If he gets a job out of state then what?

And in the midst of our questions, I sent the hubs out to get the mail. It seems nobody gets the mail when mama is gone!

I started going through the mail and noticed a package. I had ordered a few random things here and there for Christmas and figured it was one of those.

I noticed there was no return address on the package. Hmmmm. Interesting.

So I opened the package. Inside the package was a card. I opened the card.

Inside the card was a lovely note saying how they hoped the contents of their "Christmas Jar" would help me and my family this holiday season. On the other side of the card was over $300 in cash.

My hands started shaking.

Tears started streaming down my face.

I screamed for my husband to come here. I then remembered that there was also a wrapped package inside that envelope.

I opened the package and inside was a book, titled "Christmas Jar" . I had never heard of this wonderful little tradition before, but the more I researched the more I realized that this is something we should do. This is something that everyone that is able to do, should do!

At the end of each day you put all your loose change in to a jar. At this time of year, you choose a family that could really use some extra help this time of year (due to some sort of hardship, ie cancer, losing a job, fire, divorce, etc) and you donate that money to them. Anonymously. What a completely wonderful, thoughtful gift!



I'm not gonna lie. My faith was a little wobbly this week. (not that I ever doubted that God was there with me, I was just maybe a little annoyed with him!) And just like that. In a matter of a few seconds, my faith was restored. My heart was full. And suddenly I knew that everything was going to be ok. I knew that we could do this.

Now, I am going to challenge each of you to start a Christmas Jar. We all know someone, whether it is someone close to us or not, that is going thru a difficult time. Think about how amazing it would be to be able to secretly help someone out next year.

That my friends is truly what Christmas is all about. So, to my secret Angel out there, I thank you. I thank you for our special Christmas Jar gift. You will never know how much it helped or how much we appreciate you. We never, ever would of dreamed of something like that happening to us. You have honestly changed our lives. Not necessarily through money, but through our outlook on life. Someday, we plan to pay it forward.

Much Love-Heather and Family

4 comments:

  1. We started our "Christmas Jar" today too..all because of YOUR angel. <3 God Bless them and theirs and you and yours. Merry CHRISTmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brought tears to my eyes. How amazing and generous. What a beautiful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So truly blessed by your sharing of how your Lord answered prayers, some prayers verbalized and other prayers not even thought of! He is our provider and our protector, providing and reminding each of us that most everything that occurs in our lives can feel like it is all about us, when in true reality it is all about HIM! As each of us step out and live our lives as much for Him as we can then others will see how He is working in our lives and they may decide to allow Him to work in their lives too! Wishing all of your family a very Blessed New Year! Again, truly blessed by your sharing about the Christmas Jar! Love, t

    ReplyDelete