Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Goodbye

Yesterday, June 13, 2011, my Great Aunt Lotta passed away after a long, long battle with Melanoma. A few weeks ago I decided to load up the kiddos and head back to see her. That was a decision I will never regret and will always, always remember.

I didnt think it would be the best idea to bring the kiddos with me, in case you didnt know they are a bit wild and I just wanted to be able to focus on chatting with my Aunt, not telling them to sit down and get off of things the whole time! So, I called my Grandma and asked her to head to my Aunts house with me. My whole family lives very close to one another, its kind of nice actually. So, Grandma and I went up to her house and we were able to chat for about 45 minutes.

I held it together quite well while we were there, but once we left, and I dropped my Grandma off, I lost it. I just bawled. There is something about seeing someone you love, someone that you know is going to pass away soon, in a hospital bed. It was just a bit to much for this girl.

Since I didnt want to be left with that vision, I made the decision to go back to see her the next day. I am so, so glad that I did. She looked so much better. She was sitting up in the chair and joined our conversation. That is the day I will always choose to remember. I am so glad something told me to go back.

Before cancer my Aunt and I werent all that close. But there is something about having cancer. The exact same type of cancer, that brings people together. Because of my Melanoma I have truly made some great friends. Friends that I have never ever met, but truly adore. That is how I feel about my Aunt, of course I loved her, we were family. But I truly admired her. I looked up to her. She fought Melanoma for THIRTEEN YEARS!! She beat Melanoma for thirteen years! That is truly amazing. If you have listened to me preach then you know that only about 10% of people with Stage IV melanoma live more than 5 years. Luckily, with all the new research being devoted to Melanoma, that percentage is raising. I can only hope and pray that I will be able to beat Melanoma for that long (however, longer would be fabulous!)

Rest In Peace Aunt Lotta. Your battle and your fight were inspiring and will never be forgotten.

Much Love-Your Great Niece

4 comments:

  1. Love ya sweetie...so glad you were able to see her.

    Praying for you and your family a lot right now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your aunt. Glad you were able to have that special time with her. Cherish your memories.....thinking of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless you and your family during this very difficult time. I'm so glad you had this time with her and can remember such a peaceful time. We all love you and we're rooting for you and for all others to fight this horrible disease!! Prayers, always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always remember all the good times with family and friends. Our memories and our hope that we have will keep our hearts lighter and moving forward in all of our days. Know that as you continue your journey you remain in my prayers. I also am praying for others who are battling cancer, too. Love, t

    ReplyDelete