Monday, January 24, 2011

Vanderbilt visit

Last week I had my appt at Vanderbilt. This one was for a CT scan and derm visit. Seems kind of silly to have to fly there for just a CT scan and derm visit, but this is a trial, therefore all CTs have to be done in the same location due to reliability.  So, that's why I had the priviledge of traveling to Nashville last week.

I don't necessarily mind going. I like Nashville, I like Vanderbilt. But, I could do without the costs. That gets a little old month after month.

But, I had a reality check last week. I will ALWAYS have to travel for medical care. Always. Kansas sucks for cancer care for Melanoma. That's just a fact. So, if I am going to have to travel, it might as well be to Nashville, for the awesome meds that we know are working so very well on me. I mean, really, why not, right?!

So, are you ready for the final report on the CT scan? Yeah, I thought so:) The tumor in my hip is STILL not showing up on CT scans, so the rumor is is it totally! So the tumor that actually got me into the trial has actually disappeared BECAUSE of the trial. Awesome, right?!

The tumor in my lymph node that showed up right before the trial and measured something like 3 or 4 cm (I don't really remember and am to lazy to go back and look right now), measured 8.5mm 2 months ago, and measured 8.2mm this appt. So, according to my oncologist the tumor actually shrank. However, it is quite difficult to get an accurate measurement because the tumor is SOOOOO SMALL!! Awesome, right?!

So, the meds are STILL working on me. I will continue to head to Nashville once a month. And I will continue to Praise God and urge you all to continue praying for us.

I will not ever beat Melanoma. That is just the way Melanoma works. Like it or not, such is life. But, just because I can't beat it, and I can't make it stop coming back, that doesn't mean that I can't fight it. Here is my hope, I can fight it off long enough, that they will eventually come up with a treatment that will kill Melanoma for good. I have already beat the odds. This treatment ususally only works for about 6 months, I have been on it for almost a year!! Woo Hoo!! Awesomeness!! I am already defying the odds. Why stoip now?:)

5 comments:

  1. wooohooo you go girl!! How awesome that the tumor that got you into the trial is gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! The doctor's said I was brain dead. I have my brain dead moments,[lol] but all in all I'm pretty okay. So, here's to beating the odds.

    Blessings,
    J. Aday Kennedy
    The Differently-Abled Writer & Speaker
    Children's Author of Klutzy Kantor & Marta's Gargantuan Wings
    www.jadaykennedy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!!! I just found your blog and YOU are in my prayers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very Blessed by your update and I am here praying for the trial to continue to work and that our Precious Lord holds you in His Healing hands with every trip you make! Knowing that He has gone before each of us, He is here right now working all around us, and He is already out in front of us working! Love, t

    ReplyDelete