Thursday, December 30, 2010

Who Am I?

What defines you? When people look at you, what do they think? Do you ever get those pitying looks? Ugh! I HATE those looks. I am NOT defined by my cancer. I don't want to be.

I want to be a mommy.
A wife.
A daughter.
A daughter in law.
A granddaughter.
A sister.
A cousin.
A niece.
A friend.
A BEST friend.
A Christian.
A teacher.
A survivor.

But please do not define me as someone with cancer. I am not. I am simply someone who is battling cancer. I was dealt a really shitty hand.

So, the next time you run across someone with cancer, don't say you are sorry, because my response will be, it's not your fault. Don't say, keep fighting, because why would I stop? Just give them a hug and say, awww man, that really sucks! What can I do for you? Chances are, they won't take you up on it, so do it anyway! The best surprise for a cancer patient? Food for their family. Gift cards. Money.

My point is, don't look at me and feel sorry for me. This is what it is. It blows. But oh well. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment