Thursday, December 23, 2010

Papilloma

Since the pain in my breast has been slightly annoying, my oncologist at Vanderbilt wanted me to see my family physican. I was not happy, but knew that I needed to get an antibiotic so I really didn't have a choice. So today, amid the billion other things that I needed to get done, I also went to my Dr. Which actually turned out to be a good thing.

What we thought was an infection, actually turns out to be what is called a Benign Intraductal Papilloma. It's just a tiny growth that occurs in the milk duct. How and why this happened noone really knows. Chances are it has been there, growing, for a long time and just now became large enough to feel. I only have one, so it's nothing to worry about, but it will have to be surgically removed. The Dr put me on an antibiotic which will shrink it for the time being.

At this time I am not even going to think about having surgery. It's a pretty minor surgery, at least in comparsion to what I have been through, but chances are I would have to stop taking the chemo. At least for a few days and that is not something I am willing to do. The more you stop and start the chemo, the better chances you have of building of a resistance to them. So, for now, I am going to take the antibiotic, which will hopefully shrink it down a bit, at least enough so that I am not in constant pain and just suck it up. I have (or will have!) an appt with my OB/GYN in January and since she is absolutely fabulous, I will discuss it with her, get her opinion, and discuss my options.

But, if they are going to make me stop chemo, then in my mind, the only option is to suck it up and wait. We know this chemo won't work forever. No matter how much my mommy wants it to, it just won't. Boo, right?! But, it is what it is. So, for now, we wait and pray the antibiotic will shrink down the growth enough to ease the pain and we thank God that it's not cancer!

3 comments:

  1. If it's anything like a clogged duct, I feel your pain. I'll pray the antibiotice works and that you don't have to think about this growth for quite some time to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too will be praying that antibiotic works and that the pain is relieved. Knowing that you took time in one of the busiest times of our year, to get it checked out is a great relief to you and all who love you very much! Continuing to ask our Precious LORD to act on your behalf through the trial you are in, that the growths will continue to shrink and disappear. Love to you and all of your family, t

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stinks. You can't catch a break! I remember having clogged milk ducts and it was SUPER painful. If it is anything like that, I feel for you friend!

    ReplyDelete