Thursday, October 7, 2010

Definition

Sometimes I get so mad that cancer has changed me. It has not only changed me in the inside but also on the outside. It has changed how I feel, it has changed what I do, and it has changed how I think. It has also changed the way OTHER people look at me. But, I have decided that I am ok with that.

I don't think people look at me and say, oh you poor dear, you have cancer. I think they look at me and say, seriously? You have cancer?

And I am ok with that. Because even though cancer has changed me. It has changed me for the better. Odd, I know, but I am ok with that too.

Because, you see, because of cancer, I am a better mom, sister, daughter, wife, and friend. I realize the importance of family and friendship now more than ever. I realize how important it is to be there for the ones you love and to make sure that they know how much they mean to you.

I also believe that cancer has made me stronger. Fairly certain that 2 and half years ago most of you would not have considered me to be brave, or strong, or a fighter, however, I have NO doubt in my mind that those are words that you would use to describe me now. Because I am. I AM brave, I AM strong, and I most certainly AM a fighter.

So, yes cancer does suck, MAJORLY, but because of it I have become a better person. I no longer take for granted those special (and some not so special!) moments with my adorable little babes. And I no longer care about stupid petty things. Things are in perspective. So, thank you cancer for giving me that.

Now, if you don't I feel as if I must kick your ass... (I'm talking to cancer there, not you readers:)

5 comments:

  1. To me you have always seemed strong! From what it sounds like you are giving cancer a run for its money!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Heather!! Our life and our thoughts are so similar b/c of cancer. How strange...you know! Keep up that fight girl. I know our kids play a major part in Alan's fight to beat this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blogs” with over 1000 other personal cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources, reviews and more.
    If you have not visited, please stop by. If you agree that the site is a worthwhile resource for those affected by cancer, please consider adding Being Cancer to your own blogroll. And like bloggers everywhere, I love receiving your comments and ideas.
    Take care, Dennis (beingcancer@att.net)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, this is a great post. You have captured what many of us feel about our cancers. I plan to republish it today (Oct 14) at Being Cancer Network as a Guest Post. I have included two links to your website so you should see some additional traffic. You can find other melanoma bloggers in the Cancer Blogs List - Skin Cancers on my site. Please continue your excellent writing.
    Take care, Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about you so many times over the last year and a half- I'm so glad to see that you are doing well, and getting better! The changes you see in yourself are wonderful qualities that will help shape your children, too. I'll be here reading your story as it continues.

    ReplyDelete