Monday, September 27, 2010

Vandy Update

Today I had my appt at Vanderbilt. The appt consisted of labs, CT scan of chest, abdomen, pelvis and lower extremities, EKG and an appt with the Dr.

Labs went fine.

The CT was awful though!

First, they didn't have my orders for the lower extremties. For some reason this is ALWAYS a problem. I called my nurse and she faxed the order over.

I waited in the waiting room.

I drank my lovely Barium drink. (Blech!)

And I waited some more.

Finally, after 2 hours I heard my name.

The tech asked me if I had my paperwork.

What? Seriously? Why would I have that?

They lost it. It was nowhere to be found.

After some searching it was discovered. Finally!

Then it was lost AGAIN! Get it together people!

Then it was found. The CT was started.

CT without contrast was done. The tech came over to put the contrast in my IV.

Iodine and blood starts going EVERYWHERE! Not good!

The IV was pulled out and the tech attempted to start a new one.

First try he stuck the needle in, wiggled it around and got nothing.

Second try, same freaking thing!!

Third try, I told him if he couldn't get it he was done. He tried the other arm and after some wiggling he was able to get it. Lucky for him! Pretty sure I would have punched him in the hand if he didn't get it!

CT was completed. Finally!!

EKG was fine and appt with the Dr went quite well. I like my Dr here. We may not always see eye to eye, but if I can see him and talk to him he always listens to me. Which is a nice feeling! After all of this I have become quite knowledgable, not only about Melanoma, but about my own body.

So, appt today went quite well (report wise anyway!). The original tumors are to small to even measure! No new tumors and the plan is to continue on the meds like I am.

Prayers are working! Keep on praying friends!

7 comments:

  1. Hi, I came across your blog while researching melanoma. My dad has stage 3 melanoma I believe and is about to have his third surgery to remove yet another subcutaneous melanoma in his head. As far as we know it has not spread but he had another CT scan and we will get the results tomorrow. Anyways I have that in common with you as well as my son has Down syndrome and I read you taught special education, not sure if you taught any children with DS but I thought that was kinda neat! Anyways, I'm rambling now but I started to follow you to see if I could any good info. about melanoma and I am interested in your story. I believe in the power of prayer and I will lift you up in my prayers along with my dad;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good grief! Like it is not enough that you are going through all of this and the hospital has to be this incompetent. Be praying for good results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so glad I came across your blog. I found it actually, because I tried to create a new blog titled "cancer mommy" and they said that name was already taken. I had to check it out, and see who had already taken that name.

    I am another "cancer mommy" diagnosed 3 years ago with stage 4 non-hodgkin's lymphoma. I was diagnosed DURING my 3rd pregnancy. That was just a blast as you can imagine!

    Since then, I've been on the 'watch & wait' plan, but as of my appt yesterday, it's time to start chemo. I started a new blog mainly for myself to keep track of every little thing as I start/go through chemotherapy for the first time. My cancer is non-curable, so I'm sure there will be more chemo's in my future. Yay me!

    I look forward to checking in with you and seeing how your fight is going. Stupid cancer is right. Where does it get off thinking us young moms have time for this?? :) Take care, Jen
    http://www.mormoncancermommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers go out to you!! Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooohooo wonderful news! Keeping praying :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very Blessed by your results! Getting to the point of accomplishing all of your tests so you could see your doctor appears to have been the worst part of your trip. Not that I can change a thing about being sorry for the struggle you went thru, Yet, I am sorry. Sometimes, the medical profession can be the least organized and you would think due to the stress and emotional situations of all the people they see that would cause them to strive harder to make it easier. We will continue to pray and Expect our Precious LORD to Act on your Behalf, all you need to do is your part! LOVE YOU! t

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am new to your blog... Caught it off another one that featured your blog. I had lung ~ (I did say HAD) ... Never had the problem with the IV's during treatment but man the chemo sure did bang up my arms... Good luck with that after the second try ... tell them to take a hike...

    ReplyDelete