Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Do u know me?

If you know me then you know that I am a very up front person. I don't beat around the bush and I don't sugarcoat my opinions. It is what it is. I am real. Take it or leave it.

I have noticed that a lot of young women with Melanoma don't want to talk about it. I have struggled with this. Mainly because I am an open book. Yes, this happened to me. Yes, this is my fault. However, why not try to spread awareness and hopefully save some other people at the same time. I know that all of my dear friends and the people that love me would not even CONSIDER stepping a foot into a tanning bed. No if ands or buts. But, I have noticed that even people that love me and care about me still don't take the necessary precautions when they are out in the sun. This drives me wild!!

Yes, tanning beds are way more dangerous than the sun, but the sun is still dangerous. You still need to protect your skin. Anyone can get skin cancer. Anyone. They don't "think" it is genetic, however, I think I would beg to differ! If you are out in the sun, please, please make sure you are wearing sunscreen. I prefer sun BLOCK. I wear SPF 100, but that is simply because the RO5 makes me VERY sun sensitive. My kiddos wear SPF 50 or higher.

Please don't feed me the bullshit that we need the Vitamin D. They make supplements for that. I take the supplement every day, as well as my children and my husband. A supplement is WAY safer than the sun. Trust me!!

I know some of you are soooo sick of me preaching. I know that. I guess I just want to make sure you are all safe. You all mean a lot to me. I would never want someone else to go through this. I certainly wish I didn't have to.

6 comments:

  1. Heather - I'm so NOT sick of you preaching. Preach on, sister!! I wish I was as brave as you to speak up more often than I do.

    I guess skin cancer may not be "genetic," but it definitely runs in my family if for no other reason than we share the same fair skin and red hair and blue eyes. My dad has had several basal cell carcinoma spots removed from his face (next one comes off in 2 weeks). Although it's not melanoma, it's still malignant and still scary. I protect our skin w/ sunscreen, but you've taught me I need to make sure I'm protected from both UVA and UVB rays. Thanks for educating us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are completely justified in your preaching! Keep on preaching until you are blue in the face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep preaching! Good reminder always.

    I think you can still get vitamin D when heavy sunscreen. Still, I would rather protect myself from cancer no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather please do not stop trying to get through to people. Even if just one person listens and changes their behavior, that is such a huge thing. You may never know the impact you have on others, but God does !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, you don't know me, but I have followed your blog now for 2 years. My mom died of melanoma at age 59, two years ago this very week and that is how I found you. Her aunt died at age 59 of melanoma as well as her cousin at age 51, so it could be genetic. My mom was diagnosed in May and died in July of 2008, very quick. They never found her melanoma, could have been internal. I agree with you on how crazy people are. I am scared to death that I will get it. I wear 50 sunblock, hats and t-shirts to cover up. I see a dermatologist every year and am constantly checking myself. A good tan means nothing to me anymore. I have siblings that aren't quite so careful and it scares me to death. Get on your soap box and scream!!! I am right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preach it girlie! We are good sunscreen (its actually a bock just always call it that) wearers. I have actually started to talk to my MIL about her youngest wearing sun screen. She is adopted and my MIL felt that being african american she didn't need to wear sunscreen. So I found an article on the mayo clinic stating that everyone does indeed need to wear sunscreen. I am going to talk to her about it today!!

    ReplyDelete