Monday, June 7, 2010

Appt Today

Today I had an appt at Vanderbilt. At this appt I had I had fasting labs, CT scan of the abdomon, chest, and pelvis and of the lower extremities, EKG, appt with my oncologist, and post RO5 labs.

The labs looked great. WBC, RBC, platelets, etc, are low, but not lower than last time.

The oncologist made a special point of having the radiologist read the CT scans before my Dr appt. I am so grateful that he understands how patients feel. The urgency you feel before an appt is crazy. I truly do like my Dr here at Vanderbilt. But, the care at Vanderbilt is nothing compared to MDA!

Anyway, the chest, abdomen, pelvis ct showed no new growth and MAJOR shrinkage of the former tumors!! WOOT WOOT! The tumor in my groin has shrank from 2.4cm to 8 mm (rough estimate). The tumor is my left hip has shrank from 1.5cm to 5mm (again rough estimate).

The lower extremities CT scan was not in at the time of my appt (GRRRR!) This is very frustrating because last Saturday I noticed a spot on the back of my left calf. It is under the skin, but it is long (about 8 mm) and hard. You can't see it, but you can feel it.  I showed it to the Dr and he agreed that it is worrisome, but here is the dilema...

If we biopsy it and it comes back as melanoma I am OUT of the trial. We know that this medication is working. There is no reason that the cancer would be spreading since the other two tumors have shrunk so greatly. So for now, we are going to sit and wait. If it grows, I will return to Vanderbilt and a new plan will be put in place. But, for now, I am happy with waiting. A few weeks ago I had two of these lumps, one in each hip. A few days later they were gone. I don't know what they are, but it certainly is rather odd.

So, for now the plan is to stay on 720 mg (apparently I can't increase the dosage once I have gone down on it. Grrr for trial protocal!) and return to Vandy July 6th for labs and Dr appt.

Thank you all for your prayers. They are working!!

9 comments:

  1. God is GOOOOOOOOD! Yippeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! of COURSE! This stupid cancer had no idea who it was dealing with. You are amazing and strong, Heather.... and I look up to you.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO happy for this wonderful news, Heather! I'm all teared up. Praying for you all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really happy to hear this news!! Continue to stay strong! Many prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Heather, I too am continuing to PRAY and I have several other friends who are lifting you in prayer, as well! We do serve a MOST AWESOME LORD and I am Expecting HIM to ACT on your behalf for healing thru this trial! Talk later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I have to say is Woo Hoo...tumors are shrinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep fighting on, young mama. It looks like your condition is improving thanks to the right treatment. You'll win your battle!
    Zhanna Rader

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking about you girl. Can't wait to go back to work (I have been sick for 2 weeks), so I can afford to buy one of your shirts. I have posted a link on my friend Ed's support page, I hope some of his friends and family donate to you to help you through this time. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

    ReplyDelete