Friday, May 7, 2010

The Rest of the Story

On Sunday night in the ER they took lots of blood. Of course, they had a hard time finding a vein. My poor little veins have been poked so much that they are rebelling at this point! She tried one in my forearm but it quit giving blood. Then she went to a vein in the crick of my elbow, it gave so much blood that it started spraying everywhere. She was actually afraid she hit an artery. Nice. Story of my life, right?! But, they got the blood drawn, I gave a urine sample, which they spilt all over the counter. Definitley the high point of the ER visit :)


So, around 12:30 AM I was taken to the ER observation unit. Much quieter and the beds were much more comfortable. Somewhere around 4am I was told that my potassium was low so I was given two huge glasses of potassium to drink. It was BAD. I mean really bad. Worse than aspargus juice! Worse than the barium I have to drink before a CT scan. It was bad. Even my stomach agreed that it was bad because about an hour later it all came back up! Lovely. It was even worse the second time! Since I lost it all they had me take one pill, and I received 3 bags via IV. They mixed it with saline so it really didn't sting until the saline ran out on the third round.

At this time my fever was sitting still around 101. I had stopped shaking and was sweating profusely. Lovely. I was given more Tylenol and water and that seemed to eventually help.

Keep in mind, this whole time my husband and the kids have NOTHING. ALL of their stuff is in the condo. Everything. Luckily, my husband is a roll with the punches kind of guy, and he worked through it seemlessly. I would have been a complete, and utter mess!

Around 10am I was given a bag of calcium and my husband and the kids came for a visit. Still wearing the same clothes from the day before. No brushed teeth or hair. But, I'll be honest, that could have happened with their stuff! But, honestly, they were happy to see me, and I was happy to see them, so that's all that mattered. After about 45 minutes in that tiny little room they left to go buy supplies and find a new hotel.

I turned on the news. Bad idea! Nashville looked awful. The Opryland hotel looked like something from the movie TItanic. Our condo was still underwater. Tons of people had lost everything. Who would have thought this would happen in Nashville, TN? It's all so sad.

Around 3pm I was released from the hospital with the understanding that I would stop the RO5 until the rash cleared up AND I had met with my Dr. I was also started on an antibiotic "just to be safe."

I was released from the hospital on Monday. My dermatologist appt wasnt until Thursday and my oncology appt is not scheduled until Monday, May 10th.

We had 2 outfits per kid (Ella requires several outfit changes during the day because she changes her mind!) But, I really feel we have made the best out of the situation. We decided to drive to Chattanooga on Tuesday to take the kids to the Tennessee Aquarium and on Wednesday we drove back to Nashville to go to the Children's Science Center. I am very proud of my children and my husband. They have been very strong through all of this and I am grateful for that. I don't do well with stress. It's just me. Take it how you will. But, my kids and husband were awesome and resiliant.

Here is where God was watching over us. On Sunday we arrived at the condo around 2:30. While my husband was checking in a nurse at the CRC (Clincial Research Center) called and said I did not need to come in that day because of the weather. They would just push everything back a day. I debated waiting until Monday to head in, but decided to try to get there on Sunday. If we would have waited to head in until Monday, not only would we have lost our stuff, we also would have lost our vehicle. And would have been one of those families being taken out my life boat. So, even though this has not been the dream vacation, there are lots of ways it could have been worse.

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the rest of the story! You really had me hanging! Praying for you guys and praising God that it wasn't worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me hanging there too...thank goodness you all are okay. I would not have been able to roll with the punches.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me with all you have been given -you still find the good out of every situation. We (my sisters and I) continue to think of you and your family. Keep Fighting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, you are a very good writer. When all of this is behind you, you should write. I also want you to know that I am praying for you, my friends are praying for you, and my church is praying for you. Keep your focus on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whew.. glad to hear the rest! Glad you guys are save and sound! Stinks its taking so long to get your stuff back and getting back in for your appointments and all.

    ReplyDelete