Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vanderbilt Info

While we were on our fabulous cruise, I called the trial coordinator and found out that, based on my genome sequence I qualify for the trial. Yay, one hurdle down!

But, if you know me, you know there has to be something negative in there, right? As you know, I am pretty in tune to what happens on the outside of my body. I was checking out my lymph nodes Wednesday and discovered that a lymph nodes in my left groin was quite swollen. The only way to know for sure if it is cancer is to have a biopsy done. My family physician put me on antibotic. I am going to make an appt with my surgeon for the end of next week. In the meantime, I will take the antibotic. If the mass shrinks then I will know it is just an infection. If it doesn't shrink then I will know it's cancer. Getting a biopsy done won't change anything. But, it will help ease my fears.

Are you ready for some more GOOD news? Another research coordinator called this evening and guess what...my B-raf test came back positive!! So, I have the correct genome and I have the b-raf gene mutation (which we already knew I had, they just had to confirm it).

Now, it's just more of the waiting game. Ugh!! If nothing else, cancer has made me a more patient person at least! The coordinator will call me early next week with all of the appts that I have to go to. These include, but (of course) are not limited to... MRI of the brain, CT scan, ECG, full dermatological check up, and labs.

If those all come back like I want them to, (it will take about 4 days to get those results) we will schedule my time to start the trial.

I have some mixed feelings. I truly feel this is the best trial for me. However, waiting another 2 weeks is going to drive me nuts! We know it's alive and spreading in there. I just want to get it out.

Luckily, I have been pretty busy. To busy to really stress out about all of this. Busy with traveling, busy with my family and friends, and busy worrying about her!

Thanks for reading and praying

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like wonderful news for the most part! Glad you're back. We missed you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that you got into the trial! One less thing for you to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oo missed this update!! SO glad to hear you got on the trial :-)

    ReplyDelete