Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Plan of Attack

Today we met with the oncologist. He was ok. Not my new BFF by any means, but he was nice enough. He talked very quickly, and there was a lot of info to take in. I was very lucky to have my husband, mom, and dad there with me to help me take in all the info he was throwing out there. My husband did a wonderful job of taking notes. Thank you honey.




Here is the plan of attack on this nasty cancer thing:

I have a CAT scan scheduled for tomorrow. He did not feel it had spread to my brain, but he wants to cover all the bases. Works for me. I want to know.



I have a PET scan scheduled for Monday. Again, he didn't think it had spread but just wants to cover all the bases.



Want to know what I am dreading about the PET scan?



No SUGAR! Yep, folks that's right. I can't have ANY sugar or caffeine that day. How am I going to survive with my Diet Pepsi???



Oh, this is going to be tough.



Will everyone please drink a Diet Pepsi and think of me on Monday??!!



Oh, and get this, I can't be around my kids for 24 hours after the PET scan because of the radioactive dye that they shoot into me. That is also going to be difficult.



We are very lucky to have Cody's parents about 35 minutes away so they are going to take BOTH kids for the night!



A full night of sleep? YES!! Now that gets me all giddy!!



Ok, I'm done giggling with excitement about the thought of a full night of sleep.



Let's see, I also have to have some blood work done, then we will meet with the oncologist again next Thursday to go over the results.



Assuming that the cancer has not spread, I will begin treatment with the drug Interferon.



I will go into the clinic daily Monday through Friday for four weeks (20 total days) to receive a high dose Interferon intravenously (through the vein).



For the next 11 months, I will go into the the clinic 3 days a week for an injection under the skin. This is just a simple shot, and if insurance will cover it, I can do it at home. However, he said very rarely will insurance okay this.



At this time Interferon is really the only thing that works against Melanoma.



From the research, the side effects seem to be pretty low. Nausea, vomiting, depression (no shit), and fatigue.



But, the good thing-I won't lose much hair. I was pretty excited about that. (I did just buy a pretty expensive straightener!)



I am very nervous about all of this. I'm not quite sure how I am going to go in for daily treatments and still take care of two little ones.



The Dr said the first month is the worst because I have all of these drugs coursing through my body.



I am lucky to have my mother and father in law close by and my parents who are willing to drop everything to be here for me.



I am also lucky to have wonderful friends that are close by to help out.



I have always struggled with asking for help.



I think I am going to have to suck it up and ask.



Keep praying that the CAT and PET scans come back clean. Right now, that is the best we can hope for. Oh, and pray that the insurance will ok me having the shots at home. That will save me TON of time! The Cancer Center is about 30 minutes away. If I could just do it at home that would really help me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment